Route 1 Advocacy - Various locations across Somerset
If you are looking for a role supporting children and young people in Somerset then you may be interested in volunteering with Route 1 Advocacy. You can choose between two roles; advocacy or independent visitor or offer to undertake both roles. Volunteer Advocate: Advocacy involves short term engagement with each child through the particular issue at hand. An advocate is an independent person who can offer one to one support to children and young people. Advocates can speak up for the young person, give advice, make them aware of their rights, listen to them and represent their views, wishes and feelings. Their aim is to empower a young person by supporting them to have their say.We have a bank of advocates and each one can agree to take on a specific case or not Volunteer Independent Visitor: Independent Visitors are volunteers who befriend and spend time with a child or young person who is in the care of the Local Authority. This role emphasises building a long term relationship with one child or young person (visiting once or twice each month and sometimes more often) - undertaking a variety of activities together, depending on their interests and the age of the young person
These voluntary roles provide an excellent introduction to children’s services and to gaining knowledge and experience of working with vulnerable children.
Many professionals now employed as social workers, educators and employees in other children’s services commenced their careers as volunteers with this service.
In addition, both roles are also suited to older persons who enjoy the company of young people and who wish to share their life skills, resources, and problem solving abilities to help vulnerable children access what can often be life changing opportunities.
All volunteers with Route 1 Advocacy:
- Receive 24/7 support from professional staff
- Can act as both an advocate and an independent visitor if they wish
- Take part in an exciting and stimulating training programme
- Provide a highly valued service which can sometimes be life changing for a vulnerable young person and even for the volunteer themselves
- Improve the well-being of vulnerable children, our communities and even themselves
- Help ensure the child’s voice is heard and the child is empowered in such a way that their rights are recognised and acted upon.
- These are statutory roles. All travel and general expenses are reimbursed.